Maybe you own a small sustainable business, like me, or maybe you simply want a more eco friendly business card option for your brand or shop. Fortunately, from recycled paper to bamboo fiber, there are several options available to choose from. Eco friendly business cards are not only a responsible choice for the environment, but they can also help businesses showcase their commitment to sustainability and stand out in a crowded market. In our blog post, we will explore the benefits of choosing eco-friendly business cards and why they should be a part of every business’s sustainability strategy.
Eco Friendly Business Cards Materials
- Recycled Paper: Business cards made with recycled paper use post-consumer waste or industrial scrap as their base material, reducing the amount of new paper needed. Keep an eye out for sourcing from sustainable tree plantations and chlorine-free processing. Paper that is made with 100% post-consumer material uses about 75% less water in production compared to virgin fiber paper.
- Bamboo Fiber: Sustainable business cards made with bamboo paper use fibers from fast-growing, renewable bamboo plants, which require less water and chemicals to grow compared to traditional paper sources.
- Seed Paper: Business cards made with seed paper incorporate seeds into the paper mix, allowing the cards to be planted after use, creating new plant growth and reducing waste. These types of cards will definitely leave a lasting impression! (The plastic free soap bars in the Tiny Yellow Bungalow shop wrapped in this kind of flower seed paper!)
- Digital Business Cards: How about not having a physical business card at all? Instead of handing out a paper card, you could create a QR code that you show on your phone when networking. In this way, a person can easily obtain your contact details and store it for later use. You can find a business card design template on Canva or other graphic design platforms. Be sure to include all the essential contact information on your digital card like email address, phone number, and website (if you have one). Additionally, some digital business cards can also track how often they have been viewed or shared, providing valuable insights into the effectiveness of your networking efforts.
Eco Friendly Printing Techniques
- Soy-based ink: Soy-based ink is made from soybeans, a renewable and biodegradable resource, and has a lower level of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) than traditional ink.
- Waterless printing: Waterless printing eliminates the need for dampening solution used in traditional offset printing, which reduces water usage, waste, and chemical pollutants. This can significantly reduce the carbon footprint of your business card.
- Digital printing: Digital printing uses less ink and produces less waste compared to traditional printing methods. It also allows for printing on demand, reducing excess inventory and waste.
- UV printing: UV printing uses ultraviolet light to dry the ink, which reduces the need for solvents and makes the process more energy-efficient. This is a simple way to reduce your card’s environmental impact.
Best Eco Friendly Business Card Brands
Moo is a brand that specializes in producing high quality and eye-catching business cards. These cards are 100% tree free and 100% recyclable. Their cards are designed to make a lasting impression, with a wide range of customization options to suit any business or personal style.
These cards are a sustainable choice because they’re made from cotton linter – the fuzz around the seed. You can easily place these cards in your curb side recycling bin.
Their Cotton Business Cards are 18pt thick and printed on a cotton paper stock made by Mohawk.
Their user-friendly website and customer service make the ordering process seamless, and they even offer free design services to help customers create a card that truly stands out.
Greenerprinter, as a company, focuses on sustainability and offers a variety of eco-friendly printing options. They use recycled paper, soy-based inks, and have a waste reduction program in place. They also have certifications such as the FSC and SFI certifications.
This printing brand offsets the carbon emissions of their shipments through purchases with Carbonfund.org, the nation’s leading nonprofit provider of carbon offsets and climate solutions. Carbonfund.org achieves its goals through climate change education, carbon offsets and reductions, and public outreach.
Greenerprinter is also B Corporation Certified. B Corporation certification is a type of certification awarded to businesses that meet certain social and environmental standards.
Botanical Paperworks is a popular choice. This brand makes eco friendly plantable business cards. These cards are totally unique and make a great conversation piece. They’re made with seed paper. They are also made from post-consumer materials and are biodegradable so they won’t leave waste behind.
The seed paper contains a blend of colorful wildflowers including Bird’s Eye, Clarkia, Black Eyed Susan, Sweet Alyssum, Catchfly and Snapdragon.
For your business card to grow flowers, simply plant the card under 1/8″ of soil. Water it thoroughly. Place in a sunny corner and keep moist during germination.
Botanical Paperworks offers competitive pricing and even offers discounts on larger bulk orders.
Did you know the well known printing company Vistaprint also has a line of sustainable business cards? Vistaprint is an ideal choice for its bargain prices and fast delivery times. They have a variety of eco friendly materials you can choose from including:
- Matte Recycled Business Card: Uncoated finish, 14pt thick 100% post consumer recycled paper.
- Natural Textured: Lightly rippled, 16pt thick 100% post consumer recycled paper.
- Brown Kraft Paper: 90% post consumer recycled material
- Bamboo: High quality blend made with 90% bamboo and 10% cotton.
- Hemp-Blend: Extremely durable, 30% from hemp.
If you are like me and love supporting small businesses, check out Etsy! There are tons of small sellers who make beautiful alternatives to traditional business cards. There is a wide array of plantable seed paper business card sellers that offer custom design work and special finishes. You will see sellers who make business cards with recycled paper as well. You can find many sellers that offer plastic free shipping.
Noissue is a sustainable brand that offers customized and eco-friendly packaging solutions for businesses. Their environmental business cards are recyclable, compostable, made with recycled materials, and 100% FSC certified. They also use eco-friendly inks! The brand also offers a range of design tools and templates to help businesses create unique and eye-catching cards that reflect their brand values.
HiHello is a free digital business card and contact manager app designed to help you grow your network. You can easily create business cards and share them with anyone. You can even turn paper business cards into digital contacts on this app. This is definitely an interesting sustainable option for your small business and an easy way for you to reduce your environmental impact.
In conclusion, choosing eco friendly business cards is a simple way to reduce our impact on the environment. By opting for recycled paper or alternative materials, businesses can help to conserve natural resources, reduce waste and pollution, and promote a cleaner, greener future for everyone. The good news is there are quite a few brands to choose from when looking for the perfect sustainably made business card for your brand.