Breast milk is an essential source of nutrition for infants. It’s important to ensure that it is stored safely for future use. However, traditional breast milk storage solutions such as plastic bags and containers can be harmful to the environment. As a result, many new parents are looking for eco-friendly breast milk storage options that are safe for their baby and sustainable for the planet.
Fortunately, there are now a variety of environmentally-conscious breast milk storage solutions available. In this era of increasing environmental awareness, eco-friendly breast milk storage has become an increasingly popular choice for parents who want to do their part in protecting the planet for future generations.
Why Should I Use Reusable Breastmilk Storage Options
Using reusable breast milk storage options is a great way to minimize your environmental impact while also saving money in the long run. Here are some key benefits of using reusable breast milk storage options:
- Sustainable: Reusable breast milk storage options, such as glass bottles or silicone bags, are made from materials that are designed to last. This means they can be used over and over again without contributing to landfill waste. Conventional disposable breast milk storage bags are intended for one-time use so these reusable bags are a much better option!
- Safe: Reusable breast milk storage options are typically free from harmful chemicals. BPA, phthalates, and PVC can leach into the milk and potentially harm your baby’s health.
- Cost-effective: While reusable breast milk storage options may have a higher upfront cost than disposable options, you can use them multiple times. They are the more cost-effective choice in the long run.
- Convenient: Many reusable breast milk storage options are designed to be easy to use. They often have features such as leak-proof seals, clear labeling, and easy-to-pour spouts.
- Ethical: By choosing reusable breast milk storage options, you are making a conscious choice to reduce your environmental impact and support companies that prioritize sustainability and ethical production practices.
Overall, using reusable breast milk storage options is a practical and responsible choice that can benefit both your baby and the planet. By investing in high-quality, durable storage options, you can ensure that your breast milk is stored safely and sustainably, while also reducing your environmental footprint and saving money over time.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. I make a small commission from purchases made through these links.
Eco Friendly Breast Milk Storage Options
Storing Breast Milk in Glass Jars
One of the simplest ways to store breast milk instead of using disposable plastic breastmilk bags is to use glass jars.
Mason jars can be a great option for storing breast milk as they are reusable, easy to clean, and made from glass, which is a safe and non-toxic material. Here’s how to use glass mason jars for storing breast milk, aka liquid gold:
- Choose the right size: Mason jars come in a variety of sizes, so be sure to choose one that’s appropriate for the amount of milk you want to store. A jar that’s too big may leave too much air in the jar, while one that’s too small may not provide enough space for the milk.
- Sterilize the jar: Before using the jar, make sure it’s clean and sterilized. You can do this by washing the jar in hot, soapy water, then boiling it for 10-15 minutes to kill any bacteria.
- Fill the jar: Once you have sterilized the jar and let it cool, use a clean measuring cup or funnel to pour the breast milk from the breast pump bottles into the jar. You need to leave some space at the top to allow for expansion during freezing.
- Label the jar: Use a waterproof label or marker to label the jar with the date the milk was expressed and the amount of milk inside. This will help you keep track of which milk to use first and ensure you don’t waste any milk.
- Store the jar: Place the jar in the back of the refrigerator or freezer, where the temperature is the coldest. If you’re freezing the milk, make sure to leave at least an inch of space at the top of the jar to allow for expansion during freezing.
- Thaw and warm the milk: When you’re ready to use the milk, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. You could also place the jar in a bowl of warm water to speed up the thawing process. Once you have thawed the milk, warm it up to body temperature by placing the jar in a bowl of warm water or using a bottle warmer.
By following these steps, you can safely and easily use mason jars for storing breast milk. For hygiene reasons, remember to always use clean, sterilized jars and label them carefully. This ensures that your baby is getting the freshest milk possible.
Reusable Silicone Bags for Storing Breast Milk
Another great sustainable option for storing baby’s milk is to use reusable breastmilk storage bags. These eco-friendly breast milk storage bags are special bags, designed to safely store breast milk. Unlike disposable plastic bags, you can use reusable bags multiple times. They are typically made from durable, food-grade materials such as silicone or BPA-free plastic.
One of the most popular brands of silicone bags is Junobie breastmilk bags. Junobie bags were actually the first reusable breast milk storage bag on the market.
According to reviews, it seems like Zip Top and Momcozy are some of the best breast milk storage bags.
The Zip Top brand reusable bags come with a freezer tray to help you easily organize milk in the freezer. These amazing space-saving bags are made in the United States. Their pour corner design makes for easy pouring and less spills.
They make Momcozy bags using BPA Free, food grade silicone. They’re also multifunctional. You can store other liquids or baby food purees in these pouches. You could even turn them in to ice packs or hand warmers. We love that they are leak proof.
Silicone Breast Milk Storage Trays
The last of our plastic-free options for milk storage is to use silicone storage trays. These are basically silicone ice cube trays. However, instead of water, you put your expressed milk into the trays for freezing. Once the milk is frozen you can pop out the cubes and store them in a larger air tight container for future use. This is one of the best options if you are looking for a cost effective solution to single use plastic.
In conclusion, eco friendly breast milk storage options are not only safe and convenient for your baby, but also sustainable and environmentally conscious. By choosing eco-friendly storage solutions, you can reduce your carbon footprint and minimize your impact on the environment.
With a variety of options available for storage of your breastmilk, there’s never been a better time to make the switch to more environmentally friendly breast milk storage. So, whether you’re a new parent or an experienced one, consider making the switch to eco friendly breast milk storage for a healthier planet and a healthier baby.
Lastly, if you want to know more about making the switch from plastic bottles for your baby, check out our blog post >> The Best Eco Friendly Baby Bottles.